Some Of My Favorite Photography Stuff

Bayou City Farmers Market, Houston, March 2009

Had a long talk yesterday with a friend who is interested in taking the plunge and buying a digital SLR. I put together some notes for her about links and products I've found useful which I figured I'd share with all of you as well. As I said to her, I love talking and sharing photography, so let me know if you have any questions.

Photography blogs:
www.kenrockwell.com (I don't love his tone all the time, but he tends to zero in on what's really worth paying for. There's a Nikon link on his home page which will show you all his Nikon stuff.
Photoshop Insider
www.bythom.com (particularly good for Nikon stuff)
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/ (check out his video work - particularly a short movie called Requiem - as an example of what can be done with a digital slr with video capabilities
B & H Photo - my favorite NYC camera store. Very good and very reliable - be sure you look for products with a USA warranty
Digital Photography Review (encyclopedic collection of camera reviews)
Digital Camera Resource Page (another encyclopedic collection of reviews)
Flickr - great for photo sharing (you can see some of my pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/aweber9/)
Picasa - google's free and very good photo editor; integrates automatically (automagically) with picasa web albums; both picasa web albums and flickr have excellent blogging integration

And some product links of interest:
The Digital Photography Book (less about buying a camera and more about how to get the most out of it; very good and very practical)
Nikon D90 (midrange Nikon with HD video capabilities)
Nikon 18-200 VR lens (this is one lots of people like as an everyday lens)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (terrific editing program, somewhat expensive but very good for managing a large library of photos)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post... thanks for the useful links!

Do you ever go to Photo.net?
Anonymous said…
I've upgraded across three Canon Rebels (I now have the 450D) and have never been disappointed. I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version that takes HD movies as well so I can leave the video camera at home.

Popular posts from this blog

Mystery Solved

A '59 Seconds' Exercise in Motivation and a 2010 Resolution