My First 20

My training schedule for the Chicago Marathon includes three runs of 20 miles each and one run of 22 miles; starting this weekend I've got one of these extra-long runs every other week before beginning my taper (easing off the mileage to be fresh for the actual race).

I got started at 6:15 this morning while it was cool (around 60) and very, very foggy; there were periods of time during the first 6 or 7 miles where I couldn't see more than 10 or 20 yards in front of me. Overall the run went very smoothly, though the last 4 miles were really, really, really, really tough. The pain and tiredness in my legs was like nothing I've ever experienced before and I also found it hard to concentrate - for a while I couldn't remember whether we live on Lake Drive North or North Lake Drive....

I'm very pleased with the final results: 20.75 miles in 3:30:54 - good for a 10:10 minute/mile pace. The pace of my long runs has gone from 10:36 to 10:24 to 10:10 in the last month, so I am definitely making progress. Previously, the longest distance I'd ever run was 18.35 miles; the new record is very satisfying but I know I've got to set a new one at least twice more before this process is over.

One more thing to note: on each of my three long runs now I've gotten this sensation that I guess could be what people describe as a runners high. It's a moment in a run where all of these feelings come together at the same time - tiredness, pain, exhilaration, a sense of progress, rhythm, and above all, the confidence you're going to finish what you set out to do in spite of the hurt. Anyone else ever have that experience?

Comments

Chatham Gardens said…
I get that feeling all the time, although mine is related to whether I am capable of finishing a bottle of fine wine. I have never failed once I reach that point....

Congratulations on your new distance, you are an inspiration for anyone who has a goal and wonders if they can achieve it.
Blue Heron Farm said…
Way to go!

We talked to Gom today - I think you were still recovering at that point. Very impressive. Crazy, but impressive.

Popular posts from this blog

Mystery Solved

A '59 Seconds' Exercise in Motivation and a 2010 Resolution