On the road again....

Had a nice run this morning of just over 5 miles. I wasn't too sore from Saturday, but it was nice to get out on the road again.

Last night, I was reading Bob Glover's excellent book The Competitive Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Guide to Running 5Ks through Marathons. I came across this passage which I think really captures what's exciting to me about running half-marathons and a full marathon. In the chapter for first-time marathoners, Glover writes:
Why would anyone in their right mind want to run a marathon? The training involves a lot of time and effort, and increased risk of injury. The race itself is grueling and unpredictable. It's long enough to fully tax your body, mind, and soul. Your energy supplies, muscular endurance, emotions, and psychological strengths are fully tested. Therein lies its appeal to participants and spectators alike: It isn't easy. The marathon is an epic struggle.


Exciting, daunting, and scary, all at the same time. I've never run farther than 15 miles, so there's a lot of hard work ahead. The next 23 weeks are going to be interesting, so I hope you'll continue to follow along.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mystery Solved

A '59 Seconds' Exercise in Motivation and a 2010 Resolution