The risks of training too much....

As I ramp up the weekly mileage in training for the Brooklyn half-marathon (which takes place exactly 7 weeks from tomorrow), I've been concerned about whether I'd end up with sore knees or some other malady. There was a great article in the New York Times Play Magazine last week (link here) about the phenomenon of overtraining. As my training has been going really well and I've gotten into a good groove, I do feel a bit of a tendency to want to do more - whether that's running longer or running faster. I'm happy to have read the article now as I think it's a great reminder that there's such a thing as overtraining.

Registration opened this week for the NYRR/Nike Half-Marathon and I've entered the lottery. I won't know until late May or early June whether I've got a spot. I'm not completely sure I want to run the race - it would make 6 half-marathons this year and the race is in July (hot hot hot!). On the other hand, it would be fun to use as a long training run, and I'm very interested in running the course; the race starts in Central Park and goes all the way down Manhattan to Battery Park City. The chance to see parts of the city I wouldn't otherwise see is one of the big attractions of doing the half-marathon Grand Prix, so this race certainly fits with that goal.

Lots of rain is expected this weekend. I'm scheduled to do a long run of 11 or 12 miles and hope the weather doesn't get in the way. My new Nike+ sensor is now calibrated so I hope to have more news on that later in the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mystery Solved

A '59 Seconds' Exercise in Motivation and a 2010 Resolution