A new personal record


Me & Jordi After a Long Run
Originally uploaded by aweber9

After struggling with the temperature and lack of sleep yesterday, I set out for today's run with some questions about how it would work out. It's cooler today and I started about 2 hours earlier than yesterday, so the conditions were much more favorable.

My goal for the run was to do 15 miles, and I actually managed to do it. My friend Jordi - in the picture with me above, after the run - ran the last five miles with me. Having Jordi along was a HUGE help as I was dragging toward the end.

Fifteen miles is a new personal record by about a mile and a half, and the good news is that I feel great - a bit tired, but no major aches or pains. The other bit of good news is that I ran the 15 at a pace of 9:15 per mile - faster than I'd expected.

Jordi is another friend who has been an inspiration for me to take on this year's running challenges. We've been friends for a very, very long time - something like 30 years. We grew up across the street from one another and have managed to stay in pretty close touch over the years. Each and every time we come to Houston we look forward to spending time with Jordi and his lovely wife Carmen and their 4 kids. Jordi has done the Houston half-marathon twice, and it was the chance to run with Jordi and his training partners in December that really pushed me to go for the half-marathon.


Finally - a small bonus for today. I've got my Nike+ sensor pretty well calibrated now, so I think the data on my runs is pretty good. Here's a link to what today's run looks like. Not ideal in the sense that my pace deteriorated pretty significantly in the final miles....but that's something to worry about another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mystery Solved

A '59 Seconds' Exercise in Motivation and a 2010 Resolution